Versions after 8.7:
.NET Framework target is changed from 4.0 to 4.6.1. So from now on, you need to have .NET Framework 4.6.1 or above runtime on your server to run FileVista. .NET Framework 4.6.1 runtime will be downloaded and installed automatically on required machines (restart required). Minimum supported deployment server OS is changed from Windows Server 2003 R2 to Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (first to support net461 runtime). Minimum supported deployment client OS is changed from Windows Vista to Windows 7 SP1 (first to support net461 runtime).
Versions after 7.2:
New more advanced installer which automatically enables minimum required Windows features/roles so you can install FileVista directly to a clean/initial Windows instance without needing to manually configure it beforehand. This installer will also apply .Net Framework 4.0.3 update which is the last update for .Net Framework 4 on Windows 2008 and before (also on Windows 7 and before)
Versions after 4.6:
An improved EXE installer is available which can install FileVista on Windows 2003, 2008 and 2012 servers without any special server configuration so it will not require the below steps. You only need to make sure IIS is installed and enabled beforehand. The installer will download and install .Net Framework 4.0 if required.
For older versions:
If you can access the target web server physically or via Remote Desktop, you can run the MSI Setup Package on the target web server for an easy and automated installation. Please follow the below steps to solve possible installation problems when installing FileVista with the MSI Setup Package:
- Download and save FileVista-vX.X-Setup.msi from the download page to the target web server.
- Run the setup by double-clicking on FileVista-vX.X-Setup.msi and follow the setup wizard.
- If you get the error below upon starting the setup:
Make sure you are logged on as administrator. If you are already logged on as administrator, then follow the below steps as there is no right click option "Run as administrator" for .msi files:
- Click Start Button or hit Start Key
- Type in “cmd” without quotes and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open a command prompt as an administrator.
- Type in the full path to FileVista-vX.X-Setup.msi and press enter. Put the path inside quotes if it has any spaces like "C:\Users\username\My Documents\FileVista-vX.X-Setup.msi"
- If you get the error below during the installation:
You are possibly installing on a web server with IIS 7 (or higher) and IIS Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility feature is not enabled.
If you are on Windows Server 2008, open "Server Manager" and follow the steps in the below screeshots to enable this feature:
If you are on Windows 7, go to “Control Panel\Programs and Features\Turn Windows features on or off” and then click the check box as shown in the screenshot to enable this feature:
After this change, run the setup again and this time installation should be successfully completed.
- Before finishing the setup wizard, please read the configuration notes. You can also refer to these notes anytime by opening the document FileVista/help/configuration.rtf.